Monday, August 14, 2017

Every Day Heroes

This is a project I did at Art Share LA they had asked me to do a door with my Trader Joe's collages, the news of racial violence on the Portland MAX train hit me hard, when the world hits me hard, I hit back with art. Who would think in America today people like these guys and Heather Heyer would lose their lives standing up for the rights, respect and love for all citizens. 


Portland MAX
Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Mechen and Rick Best were murdered on a commuter train in Portland, Oregon. Micah David-Cole, a young poet was seriously injured. All three of these men stood up to hate, slanderous words and vial words and misgivings towards two young Muslim teenagers. 
I have created a portrait of thier heroism using Trader Joes grocery bags. I'm a painter, yet have found a new medium in collage using bags that I have collected from friends and family. Inundated with news and stories of hate and violence it's easy for me to get overwhelmed, or tune out. These men did not, they were faced head on with what I see and hear in the news and held their ground in their belief of kindness and good will. I feel for their mothers, fathers, children, their friends, families, and for all the people on the train that day. Finding these men in the print markings of a grocery bag, a symbol of caregiving helps me express my gratitude that they had the courage along their daily routine to stand up for equality and show love in the face of hate.  








No comments: